Not so recently I reached a “tremendous“ milestone – my 18th birthday (soon to be 19, if I am honest) – and let me tell you … being 18 is overrated. Or at least, for me it is. Yes, you are technically an adult but in real life, the I’m an adult, I can do whatever I want argument doesn’t do so well in front of your parents. Anyway, what I can say is that, at 18 years old, I have learned some life lessons, some in a more difficult way than others, I made a lot of mistakes, some of which I still make to this day, but in the end I had a very fun time.
Here are 18 things I have learned in 18 years of life :
1. See things in perspective and really think about what effect your actions will have in the future. Don’t do something stupid for temporary fun if it is gonna affect your future self, your friends or your family.
2. Apparently it is disrespectful to disagree with a grown-up so just say yes and do as you please.
3. Some bad decisions might have ended good, but they were still bad decisions and you should not keep making them – you were just lucky
4. If you have high self-expectations be ready to work extra hard and really do your best – knowing you didn’t push yourself enough is the worst feeling ever
5. Going to bed early on school days is like, the best thing!!! (tried it twice, so far so good)
6. If it causes you more pain than gain you should let it go –people, jobs, finishing the whole burger- and it is so easy once you learn to put yourself first.
7. Some things are better for you not to discover. I know you are curious, I am too, but once you know something, you can’t unkown it (Pretty little liars quote hehe). Be careful what you are looking into.
8. Real friends are important. Like, a lot!
9. Always take a photo of your car after you park it. Parkings are confusing and you won’t actually remember where you parked it – most likely.
10. Don’t regret something you once wanted. It doesn’t matter how it ended, it probably made you happy, helped you grow or teached you something.
11. Sometimes you go into things without having everything sorted out. Take the opportunity and figure it out as you go. We are all just winging it from time to time.
12. You can have fun with people you don’t actually like or hang out with. You don’t have to be close with them and it’s ok if you don’t want to.
13. “Everything will be ok” is the worst thing you can hear when things start to go wrong. Not saying it’s not true though, but I hate it!
14. Undo your luggage as soon as you get home from a trip. Especially the ones that involve a pool, beach or water in general. Some things get rotten in there.
15. You can ask for help if you need to and it doesn’t make you less independent.
16. It doesn’t help you to post positive karma quotes on Instagram if you are a fake person in real life. Everyone is cool on Instagram.
17. ‘’People will stare, make it worth their while’’ – one of my favourite quote. Pretty much, people are so used to hating and criticizing anything you do, so you might aswell do whatever you want and makes you happy and let them talk
18. No matter how many life lessons and situations you encounter, there will still be times when you feel like you don’t know how to react. Trust you instincts
With that been said, these are a few of the things I’ve gained an understanding of these past years. It’s not like I always keep them in mind, but it’s good to go through them from time to time.